I have recently qualified as a Mother-Daughter Counsellor, this has
been an exiting and useful tool to add to my skills and I am loving
using my new skills.
What is Mother-Daughter Therapy/Coaching?
- Teaches women how to uncover what is really going on between mothers
and daughters. It explains the mother-daughter relationship from a socio-
cultural perspective, uncovering the underlying themes and issues that
contribute to mother-daughter relationship conflict, as well as the
generational beliefs and patterns that are being passed down from mother to
- Describes how underneath all mother-daughter conflict, lies the need for
mothers and daughters to feel heard, understood, emotionally supported,
and free to make their own decisions. And that in families and societies
where women aren’t listened to, or emotionally supported, mothers and
daughters are set up for conflict. When women aren’t heard, mothers and
daughters fight over who gets to be heard. When women’s emotional needs
aren’t met, mothers and daughters fight over whose needs get to be met.
And when sexist gender roles restrict women’s lives, mothers and
daughters fight over their lack of freedom.
- Awakens women to the necessity of meeting their emotional needs.
Women’s emotional needs are central to women’s ability to know what is
true for them, their rights as people, and being heard and visible in all their
- Teaches women how to emotionally empower themselves and connect the
dots between their emotional silence and emotional starvation, as I call it,
and issues like low self-worth, eating disorders, depression and anxiety,
abuse and violence, and mother-daughter relationship conflict.
- Uses Mother-Daughter History Mapping as its diagnostic exercise that
maps out what has happened in the lives of the three primary women in the
family - the daughter, mother, and grandmother. The exercise focuses on
whether women are heard or silenced, emotionally supported or
emotionally neglected, and the emotional and relationship impact of sexist
gender roles. It answers questions about why women struggle with certain
emotional, relationship, or career issues, and mother- daughter relationship
problems. And it provides women with a roadmap for emotional
empowerment and generational change.
The Mother-Daughter Attachment Model is effective for:
- Individual and mother-daughter couple therapy/coaching, both in-person
- Teaching mothers and daughters how to listen to themselves and each other.
- Teaching mothers and daughters how to meet their emotional needs and
create strong, emotionally connected relationships.
- Creating a roadmap for emotional empowerment and generational change.